The Charles C. Harris Skin and Cancer Unit has a long and interesting history. In 1882, the first institution in America devoted entirely to the care of cutaneous diseases and cancer was created. It was known as the New York Skin and Cancer Hospital. This was the antecedent of what was to become the Skin and Cancer Unit of NYU Medical Center in 1949. During the past 121 years, the Skin and Cancer Unit has compiled an impressive record of achievement worldwide in clinical and investigative dermatology.