301 East 17th Street
New York, NY 10003
Jenny T. Bencardino, MD is Professor of Radiology and Orthopaedic Surgery at New York University School of Medicine involved in a range of both clinical work and research projects in various components of the musculoskeletal system. Recent research collaborations have focused on the applications of various types of diffusion-weighted imaging (DWI) to provide insights into characterization of cartilage, muscle and peripheral nerve microstructure as well as to probe into the applicability of DWI as a diagnostic biomarker of cartilage disease, muscle disorders and peripheral neuropathy with its potential value in monitoring response to treatment 1,2.
Improving imaging diagnosis of mild hip dysplasia in the young adult 3,4 as well as shoulder conditions including rotator cuff disease and glenohumeral instability 5-10 and hip tendon injuries have also been subjects of great attention and relevance in her recent publications.
1. Sigmund EE, Sui D, Ukpebor O, Baete S, Fieremans E, Babb JS, Mechlin M, Liu K, Kwon J, McGorty KA, Hodnett P, Bencardino J. Stimulated echo diffusion tensor imaging and SPAIR T2-weighted imaging in Chronic Exertional Compartment Syndrome of the lower leg muscles. Journal of Magnetic Resonance Imaging 2013; In Press.
2. Delaney H, Bencardino JT, Bonder J, McGorty KA, Rybak L. Neurogenic pelvic pain syndromes: Differential diagnosis with emphasis on cross sectional imaging. Skeletal Radiol 2012;41:757
3. Beltran LS, Rosenberg ZS, Mayo JD, Diaz De Tuesta M, Martin O, Neto LP, Bencardino JT. Imaging evaluation of developmental hip displasia in the young adult. AJR Am J Roentgenol 2013;200:1-12
4. Beltran LS, Mayo JD, Rosenberg ZS, De Tuesta MD, Martin O, Neto LP Sr, Bencardino JT. Fovea Alta on MR images: is it a marker of hip displasia in young adults. AJR Am J Roentgenol 2012;199:879-83
5. Bencardino JT, Gyftopoulos S. Palmer WE. Imaging in Glenohumeral Instability. Radiology, 2013. In Press.
6. Bencardino JT, Beltran LS. Pain related to rotator cuff abnormalities: MRI findings without clinical significance. J Magn Reson Imaging 2010;31:1286-99
7. Donovan A, Schweitzer M, Bencardino J, Petchprapa C, Cohen J, Ciavarra G. Correlation between rotator cuff tears and systemic atherosclerotic disease. Radiol Res Pract. 2011;128353. Doi 10.1155/2011/128353. Epub 2011 Oct 19.
8. Gyftopoulos S, Carpenter E, Kazam J, Babb J, Bencardino J. MR imaging of subscapularis tendon injury in the setting of anterior shoulder dislocation. Skeletal Radiol 2012;41:1445-52
9. Gyftopoulos S, Bencardino JT, Immerman I, Zuckerman JD. The rotator cable: magnetic resonance evaluation and clinical correlation. Magn Reson Imaging Clin N Am 2012;20:173-85
10. Dunham KS, Bencardino JT, Rokito AS. Anatomic variants and pitfalls of the labrum, glenoid cartilage and glenohumeral ligaments. Magn Reson Imaging Clin N Am 2012;20:213-28
Tarsal tunnel disease and talocalcaneal coalition: MRI features
Alaia, Erin FitzGerald; Rosenberg, Zehava Sadka; Bencardino, Jenny T; Ciavarra, Gina A; Rossi, Ignacio; Petchprapa, Catherine N. Tarsal tunnel disease and talocalcaneal coalition: MRI features. Skeletal radiology. 2016 Sep 2;45(11):1507-1514 (2232642)
DIFFUSION MRI MODELS FOR CARTILAGE: BEYOND THE DIFFUSION TENSOR
Ferizi, U; Rossi, I; Glaser, C; Bencardino, J; Raya, J. DIFFUSION MRI MODELS FOR CARTILAGE: BEYOND THE DIFFUSION TENSOR [Meeting Abstract]. Osteoarthritis & cartilage. 2016 APR;24:S283-S285 (2090532)
DTI can detect early cartilage degeneration following injury: Validation in a clinical setting with a biomechanics injury model
Ferizi, U; Rossi, I; Lendhey, M; Lee, Y J; Kirsch, T; Kennedy, O; Bencardino, J; Raya, J. DTI can detect early cartilage degeneration following injury: Validation in a clinical setting with a biomechanics injury model [Meeting Abstract]. Skeletal radiology. 2016 August 2016;45(8):1154-1155 (2204922)
DTI CAN MONITOR CHANGES IN ARTICULAR CARTILAGE AFTER A MECHANICALLY INDUCED INJURY
Ferizi, U; Rossi, I; Teplensky, J; Lee, Y; Lendhey, M; Kirsch, T; Kennedy, O; Bencardino, J; Raya, J. DTI CAN MONITOR CHANGES IN ARTICULAR CARTILAGE AFTER A MECHANICALLY INDUCED INJURY [Meeting Abstract]. Osteoarthritis & cartilage. 2016 APR;24:S368-S369 (2090542)
Diffusion tensor imaging of articular cartilage at 3 Tesla correlates with histology and biomechanics in a mechanical injury model
Ferizi, Uran; Rossi, Ignacio; Lee, Youjin; Lendhey, Matin; Teplensky, Jason; Kennedy, Oran D; Kirsch, Thorsten; Bencardino, Jenny; Raya, Jose G. Diffusion tensor imaging of articular cartilage at 3 Tesla correlates with histology and biomechanics in a mechanical injury model. Magnetic resonance in medicine. 2016 Jul 25;:?-? (2191432)