The Manhattan Eye, Ear & Throat Hospital (MEETH) is an internationally respected center for eye care. This hospital provides excellent treatment for patients and outstanding education for residents and fellows. MEETH has a large, active voluntary staff of ophthalmologists who desire the finest therapeutic and diagnostic modalities for their patients. The hospital was founded in 1869 to care for the indigent in New York City. During the next two years, the original 13-bed Hospital moved to progressively larger quarters and began admitting private patients. In 1904, the cornerstone for a building at the current address, 210 East 64th Street, was laid. For 125 years, the Manhattan Eye, Ear & Throat Hospital has made its reputation as an international referral and teaching center for ophthalmology, plastic surgery, and otolaryngology. The Department of Ophthalmology is very proud of the innovations of its graduates and attending staff. Phacoemulsification was first performed for Dr. Charles Kelman at this Hospital in 1967. The Contact B-Ultrasound was developed by Dr. Nat Bronson and the Q-switched YAG laser also debuted at MEETH. Ophthalmic microsurgery was refined in our operating rooms. Keratophakia procedures and ophthalmic cryosurgery were first performed here. Dr. Byron Smith, a pioneer in the field of oculoplastics, established one the first Ophthalmic Plastic Surgery clinics here and coined the term, “blow-out fracture.” In 1989, Dr. Jack Dodick performed the first removal of human cataractous lens by laser. The first excimer laser was installed at MEETH in 1990. In 1992, Drs. Lawrence Yannuzzi, David Guyer, Jason Slakter, and John Sorenson described the use of digital indocyanine green angiography as an important imaging advance in patients with macular degeneration. Research into photodynamic therapy was initiated and conducted at this hospital.