New York University Medical Center
New York University established the Medical Center in 1947 to initiate an expanded program of medical education, patient care and research. The Medical Center includes the School of Medicine, the Skirball Institute of Biomolecular Medicine, the Rusk Institute of Rehabilitation Medicine, the Post-Graduate Medical School and Tisch Hospital, a private hospital physically connected to the School of Medicine. Tisch Hospital (formerly the University Hospital of New York University), which opened in 1963, has 726 beds for the care of private patients.
The Department of Ophthalmology at Tisch Hospital encompasses an active faculty practice, with ophthalmologic surgery and laser procedures performed at the Medical Center on a daily basis. During residency training, residents rotate through Tisch Hospital, seeing both inpatient and emergency room patients, as well as assisting private attendings in the operating room. The major portion of resident training, however, is at Bellevue Hospital Center, Department of Veterans Affairs/New York Harbor Health Care Systems Administration Hospital and the Manhattan Eye, Ear & Throat Hospital.