The mission of the Hospital for Joint Diseases is to:
- Provide the highest quality of surgical and therapeutic care in the treatment, rehabilitation, and prevention of musculoskeletal, rheumatic, immunological, neurological, and other related diseases and injuries;
- Ensure that the interest and safety of all patients in the Hospital take precedence over all other concerns, through the implementation of reliable quality assessment and continuous quality improvement mechanisms involving interactive communication among the Medical Staff, the Office of President, the Board of Trustees and the entire HJD Patient Care Community;
- Provide special care to all patients for whom such care is uniquely available at HJD, consistent with the Patient's Bill of Rights;
- Pursue the basic and applied studies of the musculoskeletal, immunological and neurological systems of the body, and to advance the understanding of these studies;
- Provide major educational programs in orthopaedic surgery, rheumatology, molecular medicine, neurology, epilepsy, seizure disorder, parkinsonism, functional and stereotactic neurosurgery, bioengineering and biomechanics which includes a major emphasis on academic research as well as clinical training;
- Explore and develop innovative and model programs in the:
- Special and comprehensive treatment, training, and education to neurologically and developmentally impaired children;
- Study and treatment of pain;
- Study of workplace injuries and the restoration of injured and disabled workers to productive lives;
- Understanding and application of imaging and pathological diagnosis in the institution's specialty areas.
- Assure that the highest possible standards of medical professionalism are practiced in the Hospital, through continuous medical educational and quality assessments of each physician's privileges and practices in the Hospital;
- Recruit, employ and promote without regard for race, creed, sexual preference or national origin;
- Promote among all employees, attitudes of compassion, concern, and respect for privacy for patients and their families;
- Provide a work environment which reflects fair compensation, the opportunity for advancement and worker safety.