A. Haupt Glass Gardens
A. Haupt Glass Garden opened in 1958 as an amenity to Rusk Institute
- a place where patients, visitors and staff enjoy the soothing,
natural environment of plants, water birds, and beauty as a retreat
from the hospital atmosphere.
In the mid-1970s, one of the nation's first horticultural
therapy programs began in the Glass Garden. Patients of all
ages work with trained horticultural therapists on activities
that help to rehabilitate physical and cognitive functioning
as part of their occupational therapy program. These horticulture
activities also help the patients to achieve a sense of personal
accomplishment, productivity and self-reliance.