do I get into the facility?
NYU Medical Center ID cards must be
coded in order to enter the facility. There is only one entrance to the Skirball
facility on the ground floor of Skirball Institute. In order to maintain a
barrier facility, please reduce visits to the facility by organizing your time.
If your card access is not operating correctly, contact the Security Office.
- Leave personal items and extra clothing in your lab.
- Autoclave instruments prior to bringing into facility.
- Disinfect all objects brought into the facility. Disinfectants
are located on the supply cart at the entrance to the facility.
- Gowning (booties, cap, mask, gown, and gloves) is mandatory
while inside the facility.
- Carts are available for use. Remember to disinfect them
How do I get into my room, the supply room, the work room,
Once you have completed the
orientation to the facility, you will have access to the room where
your animals are located and the necropsy room. Rooms are controlled
electronically and require a four digit number to enter. Problems
with room access within the facility should be referred to the Skirball
Where can I perform procedures in the facility?
Most procedures can be performed within
the room. Longer procedures can be performed in the work rooms located at the
rear of the facility. Adopt Good Laboratory Practice by disinfecting the entire
work area before and after performing procedures. The goal in working in a
room is to minimize exposure of animals to the environment. Things to keep
in mind while working in an animal room:
- Disinfect the work area (workstation/hood).
- Spray gloved hands and wipe vigorously before and after handling animals.
Also spray gloved hands between cages.
- Limit open cages in the workstation to one.
- Reduce the number of workers in a room.
- Never place cages or equipment on the floor.
- Torn or heavily soiled gloves should be replaced immediately.
How do I locate missing animals?
- Death - check cage cards for notations of death dates. If within 48 hours
of death, carcasses are held in the refrigerator on the day of the week the
animal was found. The refrigerator is located in the freezer room outside
of the facility entrance.
- Misplaced - check adjacent cages for increase in population.
- Escape - mice found outside of their cages will be euthanatized.
How do I get clean cages?
cages are located under green draped carts located in the grey corridor.
Skirball cages may never leave the facility. If you want to take
animals out of the facility, please use the large white transport
boxes that are located under green draped carts, also found in the
grey corridor. Also note that animals leaving the facility may never
be returned to the Skirball Facility.
What do I do with dirty cages?
cages should be left in the mouse room on the floor for the husbandry
staff to remove. Lab members should ensure that no mice remain in
What do I do with carcasses?
Animal carcasses should be placed in a plastic bag and deposited
in the freezer located outside of the entrance in the Freezer Room
for proper disposal.