Yu Shan Zou, Assistant Research Scientist
I have been fortunate enough to have been exposed to quite the plethora of laboratory techniques involving tissue pathology and multiple research projects in my past years at Dr. Schmidt’s laboratory at Columbia University Medical Center.
In July 2010, I moved to NYU Langone Medical Center with Drs. Schmidt and Ramasamy and other lab members. I have over 20 years of experience in tissue pathology that has aided in the successful completion of the various research projects. I have also made many critical observations with our lab members and collaborators. My daily work includes projects involving tissue preparation (cryostat/microtome), histological, immunohistochemical, and microscopy/image analysis. I enjoy collaborating with my colleagues.
1. DiNorcia J, Moroziewicz DN, Ippagunta N, Lee MK, Foster M, Rotterdam HZ, Bao F, Zou YS, Yan SF, Emond J, Schmidt AM, Allendorf JD. RAGE signaling significantly impacts tumorigenesis and hepatic tumor growth in murine models of colorectal carcinoma. J Gastrointest Surg. 2010; 14:1680-90.
2. Huang C, Chang JS, Xu Y, Li Q, Zou YS, Yan SF. Reduction of PKCβII activity in smooth muscle cells Attenuates Acute Arterial Injury. Atherosclerosis. 2010 Jun4.
3. Harja E, Chang JS, Lu Y, Leitges M, Zou YS, Schmidt AM, Yan SF. Mice deficient in PKCbeta and apolipoprotein E display decreased atherosclerosis. FASEB J. 2009 Apr;23(4):1081-91.
4. Chang JS, Wendt T, Qu W, Kong L, Zou YS, Schmidt AM, Yan SF. Oxygen Deprivation Triggers Upregulation of Early Growth Response-1 by the Receptor for Advanced Glycation End Products. Circ Res. 2008 Apr 25;102(8):905-13.
5. Kong L, Andrassy M, Chang JS, Huang C, Asai T, Szabolcs MJ, Homma S, Liu R, Zou YS, Leitges M, Yan SD, Ramasamy R, Schmidt AM, Yan SF. PKCβ Modulates Ischemia Reperfusion Injury in the Heart. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. 2008 Apr; 294(4):H1862-70.
6. Bucciarelli LG, Kaneko M, Ananthakrishnan R, Harja E, Lee LK, Hwang YC, Lerner S, Bakr S, Li Q, Lu Y, Song F, Qu W, Gomez T, Zou YS, Yan SF, Schmidt AM, Ramasamy R. Receptor for advanced-glycation end products: key modulator of myocardial ischemic injury. Circulation. 2006 Mar 7; 113(9):1226-1234.
7. Andrassy M, Belov D, Harja E, Zou YS, Nawroth PP, Yan SD, Schmidt AM, and Yan SF. Central role of PKCβ in neointimal expansion triggered by acute arterial Injury. Circ Res. 2005 Feb; 96: 476-483.
8. Fujita T, Asai T, Andrassy M, Stern DM, Pinsky DJ, Zou YS, Okada M, Naka Y, Schmidt AM, Yan SF. PKCβ regulates ischemia/reperfusion injury in the lung. J Clin Invest. 2004 Jun;113 (11):1615-1623.
9. Harja E, Bucciarelli LG, Lu Y, Stern DM, Zou YS, Schmidt AM, Yan SF. Early growth response-1 promotes atherogenesis: mice deficient in early growth response-1 and apolipoprotein E display decreased atherosclerosis and vascular inflammation. Circ Res. 2004 Feb 20; 94(3):333-339.
10. Yan SF, Fujita T, Lu J, Okada K, Zou YS, Mackman N, Pinsky DJ, Stern DM. Egr-1, a master switch coordinating upregulation of divergent gene families underlying ischemic stress. Nature Medicine. 6(12) 1355-1361, Dec. 2000.
11. Zhang W, Yan SD, Zhu A, Zou YS, Williams M, Godman GC, Thomashow BM, Ginsburg ME, Syern DM, and Yan SF. Expression of Egr-1 in late stage emphysema. American Journal of Pathology. 157(4): 1311-1320, 2000.
12. Yan SF, Lu J, Zou YS, Mackman N, Kisiel W, Pinsky DJ, and Stern DM. Protein kinase C-beta and oxygen deprivation: a novel EGR-1-dependent pathway for fibrin deposition in hypoxemic vasculature. Journal of Biological Chemistry 275(16): 11921-11928, 2000.
13. Yan SF, Lu J, Zou YS, Soh-Won J, Cohen DM, Buttrick PM, Cooper DR, Steinberg SF, Mackman N, Pinsky DJ, and Stern DM. Hypoxia-associated induction of early growth response-1 gene expression. Journal of Biological Chemistry. 274(21):15030-15040, 1999.
14. Yan SF, Zou YS, Gao Y, Zhai C, Mackman N, Lee S, Milbrandt J, Pinsky DJ, Kisiel W, and Stern DM. Tissue factor transcription driven by EGR-1 is a critical mechanism of murine pulmonary fibrin deposition in hypoxia. Proc Natl Acad Sci US.A. 95(14):8298-8303, 1998.
15. Lawson CA, Yan SD, Yan SF, Liao H, Zou YS, Sobel J, Kisiel W, Stern DM, Pinsky DJ. Monocytes and tissue factor promote thrombosis in a murine model of oxygen deprivation. Journal of Clinical Investigation. 99(7):1729-1738, 1997.
16. Yan SD, Schmidt AM, Zhang JH, Brett J, Zou YS, and Stern D. Enhanced cellular oxidant stress by the interaction of advanced glycation endproducts with their cellular receptor. J. Biological Chemistry. 269:9889-9897, 1994.