Tisch Hospital is a highly acclaimed, 730-bed acute-care general hospital, which each year admits about 35,000 patients from the community and around the world. One of the four main teaching hospitals of NYU School of Medicine, Tisch is a major training site for students, residents, fellows, and visiting physicians in each of the subspecialties of medicine.
Tisch Hospital was founded in 1882 as the New York Postgraduate Hospital. In 1948 the Postgraduate Hospital merged with New York University Medical Center to form University Hospital. In 1963 University Hospital was rebuilt on its present site, and in 1990 it was renamed Tisch Hospital after one of its prominent and very generous benefactors, Laurence Tisch.
Today Tisch Hospital is routinely rated among the best general hospitals in the region, offering a wide array of patient-care programs and leading-edge diagnostic and treatment services. The excellence of Tisch is rooted in its large cadre of academic clinicians who combine clinical practice with an intense commitment to teaching and clinical research.