At any pharmacy, purchase one container of NuLytely, picking your choice
On the day before your procedure:
- Stay on a Clear Liquid diet.
- In the morning, prepare NuLytely solution by adding four (4) Quarts of
HOT tap water. Shake repeatedly to be sure the powder is completely dissolved.
Then place in refrigerator to cool.
- At 6:00 PM: Start drinking one (1) cup (8 oz.) of NuLytely every ten (10)
minutes. (Drink each cup quickly without gulping, do not sip). In about thirty
(30) minutes you will probably feel the need to move your bowels. Continue
drinking one (1) cup every ten (10) minutes for ½ hour, after the bowel
movements become clear of solid particles, or all of the solution has been
drunk. If the bowels have not moved after one (1) hour (six cups) wait until
the first movement and then continue drinking. You may experience a bloated
sensation, but cramping or other discomfort is quite uncommon. Many patients
find it most convenient to drink the solution while sitting on the toilet
once the bowels start to move.
Remember NOTHING to eat or drink after midnight until after your procedure.
Please note the following:
- You will need a ride home from the procedure. (This policy is required
by the hospital)
- Stop aspirin and any anti-platelet medication for 5 days before the procedure
unless otherwise specified by your physician.
- You may take regular non-aspirin medications as usual.
- If on Coumadin, or if you are a diabetic, please consult your physician.
- If on arthritis medication or any new medications, check with physician
for specific instructions.
Please be sure to arrive at the hospital 2 hours before your scheduled
Clear Liquid Diet
(Do not eat or drink anything with Red Dye)
Fruit Juice without Pulp
White Grape Juice
Black Tea/Coffee (No milk or cream)
Crystal Light ®