1. Purchase the following:
a. Surfak 240 mg, 30 capsules
b. therapeutic multivitamin, 30 tablets
c. pain medication as prescribed
2. Take 1 vitamin tablet daily.
3. Take 1 capsule of Surfak daily. If movements become too frequent,
discontinue. You should take these for as long as you are taking pain
4. Remove the dressing in the AM the day after surgery (Sooner is
OK if it becomes soiled). Take a hot bath for 15 minutes after this
(soaking the dressing first may facilitate its removal). Repeat baths
2-3 times each day as needed for comfort and hygene.
5. You may place a clean gauze or absorbant pad over the wound if
there is continued bleeding or drainage. A sanitary nakin or maxi
pad works well for this.
6. Bleeding and discharge will be seen from the anal area. This is
normal unless it is heavy in amount.
7. If you miss a day without a bowel movement, take 4 senekot tablets
that night. If you miss two days take a fleet enema (green box).
8. Take one to two pain medication tablets every 6 hours as needed.
9. Do not take enemas or other laxatives except Surfak.
10. Follow your usual diet on discharge from the hospital. Alcoholic
beverages may be used in moderation.
11. No driving while taking the narcotic pain medication.
12. Call the office for an appointment, usually 2-3 weeks after discharge.
13. Follow any special instructions given on discharge.