Pronounced: CAN-sir Fah-TEEG
Copyright © Nucleus Medical Media, Inc.
Cancer fatigue is a feeling of extreme weakness and exhaustion during cancer treatment. At times, it may be a struggle to complete daily tasks. Fatigue can persist for weeks or even years.
Cancer and the side effects of treatment cause this condition. If your body is already weakened by cancer when treatment begins, then it is even more difficult to cope with the side effects.
Factors that may increase your chance of cancer fatigue include:
- Undergoing cancer treatment
- Worsening of cancer
- Having a pre-existing condition, such as poor nutrition or breathing problems
- Yours or a family history of depression
Cancer fatigue may cause:
- Extreme fatigue that is not relieved by sleep or rest
- Lack of energy to do basic daily tasks
- Trouble concentrating and remembering
- Heavy feeling in the arms and legs
- Poor balance
- Shortness of breath
- Impatience, irritability
Your doctor will ask about your symptoms and medical history. A physical exam will be done. You may be asked:
- Have your symptoms been worsening? When do your symptoms appear and how long do they last?
- What medications are you taking?
- How often do you sleep and for how long?
- What are you eating?
- What makes you feel better? Worse?
- Have you been depressed?
- How has your work status and financial condition been affected by cancer?
- What kind of support system do you have?
Your doctor may also use a questionnaire to assess your fatigue.
Talk with your doctor about the best treatment plan for you. Treatment may include:
Your doctor may advise:
- Medications to treat the underlying condition, such as anemia
Your doctor may advise that you participate in therapy. Talk with your therapist about whether cognitive behavioral therapy is right for you.
Your doctor may recommend that you try these approaches:
- Exercise—Light exercise, such as walking for 15-30 minutes per day during times when you have more energy.
- Learn proper sleep and relaxation techniques, such as relaxing before