Low-Fat Diet (50 Grams)
What Is a Fat-Restricted Diet?
A fat-restricted diet limits the amount of fat you can eat each day.
Why Should I Follow a Fat-Restricted Diet?
This diet may be prescribed for people with medical conditions that make it difficult to digest fat. Examples include chronic pancreatitis and gallbladder disease. A fat-restricted diet will minimize the unpleasant side effects of fat malabsorption, such as diarrhea , gas, and cramping.
Fat-Restricted Diet Basics
A fat-restricted diet typically limits fat intake to 50 grams per day. Fat contains nine calories per gram. So, if you need 2,000 calories per day, this means only about 22% of those calories can be from fat. The rest should be from carbohydrates and proteins.
For most people, it is possible to meet all nutrient requirements on this diet. However, a supplement may be recommended if fat is very limited or you are on the diet for a long time. Vitamins A , D , E , and K need fat to be absorbed. Your doctor or a dietitian may recommend supplements for these vitamins.
Eating Guide for a Fat-Restricted Diet
The following guide is broken down into categories based on the Choose My Plate website recommendations for healthy eating. It is recommended that you work with a dietitian to determine how many servings of each category you should eat. Here are some general recommendations:
- The base of your diet should be composed of grains, vegetables, and fruit. Strive to eat foods from these three categories at each meal. Fruits and vegetables should cover half of your plate at each meal. When eating grains, choose foods made with whole grains instead of refined grains.
- Limit your intake of meat, fish, poultry, and eggs to 6 ounces per day.
- Consume no more than 3 teaspoons of fat per day.
- Enjoy low-fat or fat-free sweets or snack foods in moderation.
- If you enjoy healthy fats (eg, nuts, olives, and avocados), ask your doctor or dietitian about how you can add these foods into your diet. Since these foods have a lot of fat, they need to be added to your day's intake of fat.
|Food Category||Foods Recommended||Foods to Avoid|