Click here to view an animated version of this procedure.
Copyright © Nucleus Medical Media, Inc.
This is a procedure to remove a tissue sample from the lining of the uterus (womb).
Reasons for Procedure
Some reasons for an endometrial biopsy include:
- Evaluate the cause of bleeding in postmenopausal women
- Evaluate heavy menstrual bleeding or bleeding between menstrual periods
- Obtain a tissue sample to test for cancer or precancerous conditions
- Monitor the uterine lining in women on estrogen replacement therapy
- Help evaluate the cause of infertility or repeated miscarriages
If you are planning to have an endometrial biopsy, your doctor will review a list of possible complications, which may include:
- Damage to the uterus (rare)
Factors that may increase the risk of complications include:
Be sure to discuss these risks with your doctor before the procedure. If you are pregnant, the test cannot be done.