Biosketch / Results /
Darrell RigelClinical Professor, Department of Ronald O. Perelman Department of Dermatology
Education1978 — George Washington Univ, Medical Education
— NYU Medical Center (Dermatologic Surgery), Clinical Fellowships
1978-1979 — New York Hospital (Medicine), Internship
1979-1982 — NYU Medical Center (Dermatology), Residency Training
Research SummaryA. Oncology/Surgery
1. Sunlight/Ultraviolet light and its effects on the skin.
2. Risk, etiologic and prognostic factors in malignant melanoma, squamous-cell carcinoma, basal-cell carcinoma and other cutaneous malignancies.
3. Establishment, management and analysis of computerized data bases as means for above.
4. Application of results from above to improved surgical technique and patient management to improve cure rates in these diseases.
5. Etiologic factors in aging of the skin - medical and surgical therapy.
6. Development of improved techniques for dermatologic surgery (skin cancer removal, hair transplantation, resurfacing.)
B. Computer Applications in Dermatology/Medicine
1. Computer aided recognition of histologic characteristics of lesions. Computer aided spatial and contrast enhancement of morphology.
2. Direct applications to prognosis and improved patient care.
3. Computer aided instruction in dermatology. Application in an out-patient setting.
4. General office management computer applications.
Research InterestsMelanoma, Skin Cancer, Photaging, Photoprotection
The impact of guidance provided by a multispectral digital skin lesion analysis (MSDSLA) device following dermatoscopy on dermatologist and nondermatologist decisions to biopsy atypical melanocytic lesions
Rigel, Darrell; Winkelmann, Richard; Tucker, Natalie; White, Richard
2015-10-01; 0190-9622,Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology - id: 1788752, year: 2015
Polypodium leucotomos extract: a status report on clinical efficacy and safety
Winkelmann, Richard R; Del Rosso, James; Rigel, Darrell S
2015-03-08; 1545-9616,Journal of drugs in dermatology : JDD - id: 1480672, year: 2015 Journal Article
The Impact of Multispectral Digital Skin Lesion Analysis on German Dermatologist Decisions to Biopsy Atypical Pigmented Lesions with Clinical Characteristics of Melanoma
Winkelmann, Richard R; Hauschild, Axel; Tucker, Natalie; White, Richard; Rigel, Darrell S
2015-11-16; 1941-2789,Journal of clinical & aesthetic dermatology - id: 1834582, year: 2015 Journal Article
Comparison of the Distribution of Morphological Disorganization of Pigmented Lesions in a Community-based Practice versus a University-based Clinical Setting as Measured by a Multispectral Digital Skin Lesion Analysis Device: Impact on Diagnosis
Winkelmann, Richard R; Nikolaidis, Gregory; Rigel, Darrell S; Tucker, Natalie; Speck, Laura
2015-03-08; 1941-2789,Journal of clinical & aesthetic dermatology - id: 1480742, year: 2015 Journal Article
Assessing frequency and quality of US dermatologist sunscreen recommendations to their patients
Winkelmann, Richard R; Rigel, Darrell S
2015-02-22; 0190-9622,Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology - id: 1466032, year: 2015 Journal Article