Biosketch / Results /
Jenny BencardinoProfessor, Department of Radiology
Professor, Department of Orthopaedic Surgery
NYU Radiology Associates
301 East 17th Street
New York, NY 10003
Education1992-1996 — Pontificia Universidad Javeriana, Residency Training
1996-1997 — NYU Hospital for Joint Diseases, Clinical Fellowships
1997-2000 — Long Island Jewish Medical Center, Residency Training
Jenny T. Bencardino, MD is Professor of Radiology and Orthopaedic Surgery at New York University School of Medicine involved in a range of both clinical work and research projects in various components of the musculoskeletal system. Recent research collaborations have focused on the applications of various types of diffusion-weighted imaging (DWI) to provide insights into characterization of cartilage, muscle and peripheral nerve microstructure as well as to probe into the applicability of DWI as a diagnostic biomarker of cartilage disease, muscle disorders and peripheral neuropathy with its potential value in monitoring response to treatment 1,2.
Improving imaging diagnosis of mild hip dysplasia in the young adult 3,4 as well as shoulder conditions including rotator cuff disease and glenohumeral instability 5-10 and hip tendon injuries have also been subjects of great attention and relevance in her recent publications.
1. Sigmund EE, Sui D, Ukpebor O, Baete S, Fieremans E, Babb JS, Mechlin M, Liu K, Kwon J, McGorty KA, Hodnett P, Bencardino J. Stimulated echo diffusion tensor imaging and SPAIR T2-weighted imaging in Chronic Exertional Compartment Syndrome of the lower leg muscles. Journal of Magnetic Resonance Imaging 2013; In Press.
2. Delaney H, Bencardino JT, Bonder J, McGorty KA, Rybak L. Neurogenic pelvic pain syndromes: Differential diagnosis with emphasis on cross sectional imaging. Skeletal Radiol 2012;41:757
3. Beltran LS, Rosenberg ZS, Mayo JD, Diaz De Tuesta M, Martin O, Neto LP, Bencardino JT. Imaging evaluation of developmental hip displasia in the young adult. AJR Am J Roentgenol 2013;200:1-12
4. Beltran LS, Mayo JD, Rosenberg ZS, De Tuesta MD, Martin O, Neto LP Sr, Bencardino JT. Fovea Alta on MR images: is it a marker of hip displasia in young adults. AJR Am J Roentgenol 2012;199:879-83
5. Bencardino JT, Gyftopoulos S. Palmer WE. Imaging in Glenohumeral Instability. Radiology, 2013. In Press.
6. Bencardino JT, Beltran LS. Pain related to rotator cuff abnormalities: MRI findings without clinical significance. J Magn Reson Imaging 2010;31:1286-99
7. Donovan A, Schweitzer M, Bencardino J, Petchprapa C, Cohen J, Ciavarra G. Correlation between rotator cuff tears and systemic atherosclerotic disease. Radiol Res Pract. 2011;128353. Doi 10.1155/2011/128353. Epub 2011 Oct 19.
8. Gyftopoulos S, Carpenter E, Kazam J, Babb J, Bencardino J. MR imaging of subscapularis tendon injury in the setting of anterior shoulder dislocation. Skeletal Radiol 2012;41:1445-52
9. Gyftopoulos S, Bencardino JT, Immerman I, Zuckerman JD. The rotator cable: magnetic resonance evaluation and clinical correlation. Magn Reson Imaging Clin N Am 2012;20:173-85
10. Dunham KS, Bencardino JT, Rokito AS. Anatomic variants and pitfalls of the labrum, glenoid cartilage and glenohumeral ligaments. Magn Reson Imaging Clin N Am 2012;20:213-28
MR Imaging of the Midfoot Including Chopart and Lisfranc Joint Complexes
Tafur, Monica; Rosenberg, Zehava Sadka; Bencardino, Jenny T. MR Imaging of the Midfoot Including Chopart and Lisfranc Joint Complexes. Magnetic resonance imaging clinics of North America. 2017 Feb;25(1):95-125 (2327912)
The Potential Use of Ultrasound-Magnetic Resonance Imaging Fusion Applications in Musculoskeletal Intervention
Burke, Christopher J; Bencardino, Jenny; Adler, Ronald. The Potential Use of Ultrasound-Magnetic Resonance Imaging Fusion Applications in Musculoskeletal Intervention. Journal of ultrasound in medicine. 2016 Dec 3;36(1):217-224 (2329642)
Tarsal tunnel disease and talocalcaneal coalition: MRI features
Alaia, Erin FitzGerald; Rosenberg, Zehava Sadka; Bencardino, Jenny T; Ciavarra, Gina A; Rossi, Ignacio; Petchprapa, Catherine N. Tarsal tunnel disease and talocalcaneal coalition: MRI features. Skeletal radiology. 2016 Nov;45(11):1507-1514 (2232642)
ACR Appropriateness Criteria Imaging After Shoulder Arthroplasty
Gyftopoulos, Soterios; Rosenberg, Zehava S; Roberts, Catherine C; Bencardino, Jenny T; Appel, Marc; Baccei, Steven J; Cassidy, R Carter; Chang, Eric Y; Fox, Michael G; Greenspan, Bennett S; Hochman, Mary G; Jacobson, Jon A; Mintz, Douglas N; Newman, Joel S; Shah, Nehal A; Small, Kirstin M; Weissman, Barbara N. ACR Appropriateness Criteria Imaging After Shoulder Arthroplasty. Journal of the American College of Radiology : JACR. 2016 Nov;13(11):1324-1336 (2303562)
Serum urate levels predict joint space narrowing in non-gout patients with medial knee osteoarthritis
Oshinsky, C; Attur, M; Ma, S; Zhou, H; Zheng, F; Chen, M; Patel, J; Samuels, J; Pike, V; Regatte, R; Bencardino, J; Rybak, L; Abramson, S B; Pillinger, M H; Samuels, S K. Serum urate levels predict joint space narrowing in non-gout patients with medial knee osteoarthritis [Meeting Abstract]. Arthritis & rheumatology. 2016 October;Conference:(American):370-371 (2398052)