Message from the Dean & CEO
Excellence. Patient centered. Integrated.
Energy is pulsing through NYU Langone Medical Center as we strive to strengthen every facet of our mission. From the advances we’ve made in patient safety and quality to exciting new frontiers in education to taking ambitious new leaps in scientific research, NYU Langone is pushing the boundaries of medicine and science.
The trajectory and momentum of the Medical Center cannot be contained to only our campus. Outside indicators confirm the progress being made, including:
- Nationally ranked in 15 specialties by U.S. News & World Report in their “Best Hospitals” 2011-2012 issue, including being ranked in the top 10 in the U.S. for rehabilitation medicine, orthopaedics, and rheumatology and #11 for neurology and neurosurgery;
- Ranked #2 in U.S. News & World Report’s “Best Regional Hospitals” 2011 – 2012 in the New York Metropolitan Region
- Awarded the Gold Seal of Approval by The Joint Commission, reflecting our commitment to high-quality care;
- Designated as a Magnet site for nursing excellence in Tisch Hospital and the Rusk Institute, a distinction earned by fewer than 6 percent of all U.S. hospitals;
- Recipient of the Niagara Health Quality Coalition’s (NHQC) New York State Hospital Report Card Honor Roll for patient safety and quality in 2009, 2010 and 2011. Also recognized on 2011 NHQC America’s Safest Hospitals (SM) list, honoring hospitals that performed better than the state average in New York.
But this is only the beginning. In the most sweeping revitalization in our 171-year history, we are transforming our campus to set a new standard for academic medical centers and defining our future for decades to come. Thanks to an extraordinary gift from our longtime benefactor and trustee, Helen L. Kimmel, a new clinical building will rise on our campus. Once completed, it will combine clinically and physically with our flagship Tisch Hospital to provide a state-of-the-art environment that will take the quality and breadth of our care to even greater heights. In addition, a new era of children’s health care is being ushered in thanks to a transformative gift from the Hassenfeld family. The gift supports the full array of children’s health services across the Medical Center and will create a comprehensive pediatric hospital, the Hassenfeld Pediatric Center, within the Kimmel Pavilion.
This year, patients across the full spectrum of orthopaedic and rheumatologic disorders will benefit from the Center for Musculoskeletal Care, an outpatient facility that integrates research, clinical practice, rehabilitation, and wellness services for conditions involving the spine, arthritis, autoimmune diseases, sports injuries, and total joint replacements. And coming in 2013 is the Center for Emergency Services, a new and expanded emergency department with advanced technology. Also on the drawing board is a new, equally state-of-the-art Neuroscience Institute, thanks to a generous gift from the Druckenmiller Foundation, and an expansion of our already strong translational research efforts in the neurosciences, immunology, inflammation, and infection, and more with a new Science Building that will open in 2015.
Our medical students are already benefitting from our Curriculum for the 21st Century, a patient-centered and learning-centered curriculum that transformed medical education to meet the demands of the 21st century.
NYU Langone Medical Center has a heritage of excellence that we are reinventing every day. We take deep pride in all that our exceptional doctors, nurses, researchers, and staff do on behalf of our patients, our students, our community, and the world beyond.
They prove every day that excellence is our specialty.
Robert I. Grossman, MD, Dean & CEO